The main difference between a fancy created diamond and a fancy earth mined diamond lies in their origin. The setting in which a diamond naturally grows has been replicated above-ground in laboratories; a laboratory-grown diamond is a diamond that is grown from a small diamond seed. The diamond seed is placed in an environment that contains carbon, the molecular component of diamonds. After applying heat and pressure under highly controlled conditions, the small diamond seed begins to grow, molecule by molecule, layer by layer, emulating nature's process.
Click here to view an animation of the process.
This is a rough mined diamond crystal that was dug from deep in the earth.
|How do Created Diamonds and Mined Diamonds Compare?
- Both have identical physical, chemical and optical properties.
- Both have the same hardness, specific gravity, refractive index and dispersion factor.
- Both are polished using the same equipment and techniques.
- Both have the same brilliance, sparkle, fire and scintillation.
- Both are in fact a Diamond and are graded as a diamond by the leading gemological laboratories.
A Diamond is a Diamond… Both will last Forever!